COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
Our client is an award winning long established and growing UK manufacturing business with an international presence. They make strong and sustained investment in people, capital and plant and are an acknowledged leader in their field.
Reporting to the HSE Director and SNR Management Team, the successful candidate will provide environmental management, technical support and advice, in respect of environmental policy, implementation strategy, management systems and delivery, including energy management, sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. You will also hold Indirect responsibility in respect of project management of multi-disciplined teams to deliver environmentally related projects.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Continuously improve and manage the environmental management systems to support business operations and strategy.
• Drive the business to ISO14001 accreditation.
• Develop environmental objectives as part of the overall company HSE strategy and track performance indicators to drive improvement.
• Ensure compliance with EPR and the Major Accident Prevention Policy (MAPP) where relevant to your area of responsibility.
• Oversee waste management either directly or via a TWM provider.
• Oversee the operational, commercial and compliance activities associated with the Biological Treatment Plant.
• Oversee energy regulation compliance and drive energy efficiency and improvement with other departments.
• Promote sustainability, CSR and ESG.
• Promote a positive HSE culture and assist in the development of programmes which generate continuous improvement in attitudes and behaviour, particularly with respect to the environment.
• Maintain knowledge of current and impending environmental and waste regulations and provide timely advice on its application to the business.
• Ensure consistent application of the requirements of Environmental Permitting and other regulations across the site.
• Ensure that company management is made aware of relevant legislation and advice on the necessary actions to avoid any legal action resulting from non-compliance.
• Advises on the application of BAT and industry best practice to ensure compliance with environmental standards and continuous improvement commitments.
• Represent the company in contact with the EA and NWL
• Oversee compliance with agreements and consents for the discharge of trade effluents from Biological Treatment plant on the basis of pollutant load, treatability, toxicity and environmental risk assessment.
• Specify and manage environmental monitoring programmes to include air emissions, waste water, ground water and noise.
• Arranges environmental consultancy services and technical environmental assessments to support the site needs for projects and existing manufacturing operations.
• Ensure compliance with waste management regulations in terms of classification, packaging and disposal of waste streams.
• Maintains the system for Duty of Care audits on waste contractors and subcontractors.
• Develop appropriate environmental protection and remediation plans to support COMAH emergency planning activities.
• Overall responsibility for providing professional environmental guidance and advice to managers and staff.
• Develop and conduct training programmes to ensure that the workforce has the adequate skills, knowledge and attitudes to make them competent in the environmental aspects of their work.
• Has direct accountability for the environmental budget in order to support operations
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Graduate in science or engineering subjects with additional Environmental qualifications, ideally with several years’ experience in technical, chemical manufacturing or engineering roles.
• Sound knowledge of current and future Environmental legislation with the ability to manage and lead on specific Environmental matters.
• Good communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Broad understanding within the HSE function and all operational aspects of the site.