COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
With experience across every sector, our client is a leading force in the within construction industry and has the expertise and production capability to deliver high quality, cost effective buildings that meet the current and future needs of their users. They operating across multiple sectors, delivering a comprehensive range of innovative Solutions, Across all of these sectors, our manufacturing and construction sites continually strive to find a better way of delivering high quality Solutions that achieves our clients’ goals more efficiently, more affordably, and more effectively.
We are seeking a Commercial Manager to lead the post contract surveying functions for the business, being based at their head office, with the requirement to visit clients and site as necessary. The Commercial Manager will report to the Commercial Director.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Reporting to the Commercial Director and as part of the senior management team, you will have commercial responsibility for a large portfolio of contracts, managing a team of Quantity Surveyors and commercial staff.
• You will manage all commercial elements of projects from bid support including contractual reviews and risk appraisals, contract terms, costs, and subcontractors, ensuring subcontract accounts are managed by QS’s within budgets and final accounts are signed and agreed in a timely manner.
• Responsible for achieving the commercial objectives and targets for all contracts from order through to final account agreement.
• To identify and manage risks associated with each contract through detailed assessment and maintaining risk registers.
• Effective liaison with directors and senior managers identifying and reporting commercial information.
• Collation, analysis and presentation of monthly CVR contract reports, including cash forecasting, risk and opportunity analysis, variation accounts and contractual status.
• Financial, contractual and legal control of contracts and sub-contract /consultant activities. Strong contractual and legal knowledge to ensure all necessary notices are served promptly and the company’s position is safeguarded.
• Ability to lead from the front and motivate / influence others to exceptional performance.
• Experience in dealing with conflicting service and management priorities and making sound strategic recommendations.
• Excellent analysis and reporting skills to inform decision makers.
• Implement the company's commercial policies
• Successfully manage contractual dispute resolution both up and down stream.
• Form relationships with clients/PQS/Consultants/supply chain.
• Deliver and improve on margin / EBITDA expectations.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• The successful candidate will need to demonstrate an appropriate level of experience in the construction industry as a Commercial Manager role for a large main contractor or similar design and build main contracting company.
• The candidate will be qualified to Degree Level or similar commercial qualification degree in a construction discipline. RICS membership preferred.
• Experience of liaising/negotiating with client representatives and staff at a senior level.
• With first class communication skills, you will have excellent pre and post contract commercial expertise with the relevant management experience.
• A full valid driving licence.
• Will need to be CSCS qualified or higher.
• You will have a proven record of accomplishment gained within the main contracting arena, with good knowledge of the using JCT and NEC3 type contracts terms and conditions, and their legal and operational mechanisms.
• Dealing with Subcontract disputes and ensuring payment notices are in place and in line with current legislation.
• A good knowledge of construction methods and materials.
• Commercially astute and results driven.
• Excellent IT and mathematical skills.
• A methodical approach to work with good organisational skills.
• Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
• The ability to work as part of a team.