COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
Our client is an established, award winning and world leading manufacturing business, with strong and sustained investment in people, capital and plant. They design and manufacture bespoke products for use across several sectors for some of the largest OEM’s in the UK and internationally. They possess a strong set of values, and their team work, culture and ethics are at the root of their success.
Due to continued growth, our client is seeking to appoint an experienced Production / Manufacturing / Process Improvement Engineer. Tasked with increasing productivity, quality, and profitability through keen data analysis and process design, the successful candidate will be significantly involved in improving operations and providing efficient resolution of production issues, while maintaining or improving safety, developing, evaluating and documenting manufacturing methods and processes through Lean techniques and Kaizen events. The successful candidate may also undertake responsibility as a Subject Matter Expert e.g. SMED supporting the Division within the greater organisation.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Applying specialist and detailed mechanical and electrical engineering expertise
• Developing best practices, routines and innovative solutions to improve production rates and quality of output
• Achieving key metrics e.g. manufacturing costs, productivity and on-time delivery
• Maintaining and improving process capabilities using appropriate tools and methodologies including PFMEA Poke-Yoke, OEE, FEA DOE, and PPAP
• Effective planning of activities and projects
• Monitoring performance against deadlines and milestones and initiating corrective action as needed to ensure successful project delivery ensuring expenditure productivity and quality targets are met;
• Inputting and analysing data and all other sources of information to help identify successful workflows to optimize processes and to suggest improvements and new initiatives.
• Reviewing KPI monitoring systems and determines ways to improve ability to maintain operations
• Support NPI activities in preparation of successful product or process launches
• Work collaboratively with external suppliers to ensure equipment is maintained efficiently and critical spares are available
• Supporting Operations teams on root cause analysis
• Supporting the creation of training documentation and delivering training where appropriate (mentoring associates e.g. apprentices, technicians to increase individual and team understanding and capability in the subject area)
• Involvement is effective supplier selection: obtaining competitive quotes for spares and equipment repair/maintenance services. Monitoring and controlling costs and reviewing performance of budgets and initiates
• Ensuing quality standards and practices are incorporated into process operation, setting high standards for equipment output and standard adherence.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Bachelor’s degree or HND/HNC in Mechanical Engineering, or similar, ideally apprentice trained
• Lean or 6 Sigma Green Belt (desirable)
• Experience of working within a high volume manufacturing/production environment
• Previous experience of working in cross-discipline teams
• Experience of managing projects including budgetary management
• Knowledge product liability/warranty processes
• Application of PFMEA, OEE, FEA,
• A sound knowledge of manufacturing processes,
• An understanding of polymers, synthetic polymers and non-polymer components and application would be advantageous
• Product portfolio and application, sound application of static and dynamic sealing principles;
• Ability to read and interpret technical documents; knowledge of routing for cost card generation
• Experience of complex data analysis using 6 Sigma and Lean tools, problem solving
• Proficient knowledge and application of MS Office; knowledge and application of ERP systems, reporting tools, document management systems, data analysis tools.