COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
Our Client is well established engineering/manufacturing business and world leader in their field.
This role represents an excellent career opportunity for an experienced Proposals Engineer.
To design software and supporting hardware design, having determined software and controller requirements, validating appropriately and following company software implementation program whilst maintaining all supporting documentation.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Generation and maintenance of software requirements in line with the project functional specification and company quality standards
• Generation of software design and documentation in line with project requirements and company standards
• Generation of efficient, well structured, annotated software code as defined in the design documentation
• The production of validation and verification requirements to test that the code has met the requirements of the project
• Conduct the verification and validation testing as necessary
• Assist in the development of all initiatives to improve and simplify the generation, modification and documentation of software
• The design / modification of embedded processor cards, peripherals, interfaces and I/O circuitry to meet the functional requirements of the project system and the operating software, including all design specification, manufacturing requirements, component definition and testing documentation
• The integration of the embedded processor card and product operating software to deliver a combined sub-system which meets the project requirements
• Development of next generation embedded controllers using microcontrollers / DSP’s etc as identified by the company
• Design of interface software (ie serial link, Ethernet, CANbus, MOD Bus, ProphiBus for example)
• Assist in the integration of the embedded solution into the overall product
• Generate qualification, production test procedures and component specifications where appropriate
• Provide advice on all aspects of design and engineering to other senior managers and staff to ensure effective decision making
• Actively follow the Company’s Health and Safety Policy, Procedures and safe systems of work, and be responsible for your own health and welfare, working with colleagues to ensure that the working environment is safe. This includes following instructions and actively participating in training and development to ensure compliance and best practice in this area.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Engineering Degree in software and/or embedded systems related discipline
• Chartered Engineer Status
• Knowledge of C programming language
• User of the Real Time operating Systems (RTOS) such as TI RTOS, FreeRTOS
• User of the source code management software such as SVN, Mercurial, GitHub
• Knowledge of the signal conditioning, digital and analog circuits, A/D converters, communication links such as UART, I2C, CAN, Ethernet
• Knowledge of the communication protocols, like Modbus, TCPIP
• Fluent user of the oscilloscope and software debuggers
• Practical experience of debugging electronic circuits.
• Experience in designing of electronic circuits using schematics capture tools, preferable CADSTAR.
• Experience in design schematics capture CAD tools, preferable CADSTAR and designing
• Understanding of the system control principles, software implementation of the PI regulators, use of PWM, dead time generation.
• Basic understanding of current and voltage control loops principles.
• Ability to operate simulation tools such as PLECS and/or Symmetrix to model and verify analog and digital circuits
• Demonstrable experience with FPGA Logic Design and simulation using high level descriptive language, preferably VHDL.
• Experience of programming ARM core microprocessors and/or Infineon Tri-core processors; PLC programming
Knowledge of the System On Chip (SoC) processors ZYNQ from Xilinx; User of Vivado software from Xilinx;
Demonstrable experience of working to recognised software processes and standards with application of Software Integrity Levels (SIL)