COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
Our client is a world class, established and growing manufacturing/engineering business, with strong and sustained investment in people, capital and plant. They produce specialist steel based products with ancillary electrical systems and are an acknowledged International leader in terms of size and technical capabilities. This is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated professional seeking to make a strong contribution and to develop and progress their career.
Reporting into the Bids Manager and working closely with customers’, Sales, Engineering and Finance the successful candidate will have responsibility for preparing proposals that match the client’s exact requirements. You will produce accurate and detailed proposals for our customers’ in a timely manner, and manage those proposals yourself from concept through to order stage.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Working in conjunction with the Departmental Manager and Technical Manager, co-ordinate and process all enquiries. In particular, work related to enquiries for design, structural work, product components, spares and refurbishment of equipment.
• Conducting customer/user requirement specification and definition of customer/tender requirements, dissemination of the information to all relevant internal parties, liaising as required with Purchasing, Engineering and Sales.
• Receiving enquiries & RFQ’s and carrying out detailed evaluations and calculations to ascertain the client’s exact requirements and to allow detailed costing of each opportunity whilst minimising risk and retaining competitiveness
• Responsibility for the development, preparation and submission of winning tenders to customers.
• Produce accurate and timely proposals which reflect the customer’s requirements and meet commercial targets
• Preparation of cost build ups, using data obtained from in-house and external sources and application of the company’s pricing policy (SAP), in preparing quotations and documentation with final cost prices for approval prior to tender submission.
• Attending pre-tender meetings and discussions, and where necessary visit clients or project sites to further understand the enquiry or to propose possible solutions to the customer prior to taking it through the tendering stage.
• Attending post tender meetings to contribute process improvements.
• Maintain proposals databases to ensure the company can track the conversion rates and improve proposals.
• Reporting on KPI’s and take the appropriate action
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Ideally qualified to degree level (or HND / HNC) in a mechanically biased engineering related subject (or HND/HNC Level)
• Good understanding of production and manufacturing processes in a medium/heavy engineering environment.
• Good understanding of health and safety and quality requirements
• Must be able to demonstrate effective communications with clients.
• Strong planning and organisation skills, evidence of working to deadlines and managing budgets
• Strong commercial acumen
• Must have a thorough understanding of drawings and bills of materials together with routings to allow cost to be estimated.
• Must be able to carry out detailed mechanical engineering calculations and have an understanding of conveyor calculations and systems.
• Competent user of MRP systems, ideally SAP
• Computer literate
• Able to travel as required