COMPANY DESCRIPTION, PROFILE AND SCOPE OF ROLE:
Our Client is well established and rapidly growing Engineering/Manufacturing business and world leader in their field.
This role represents an excellent career opportunity for an experienced Product Development Manager.
Reporting into the Head of Product Development, the successful candidate will oversee the development of all new and innovative products to complement the existing product range.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Overall performance and development of all staff within the Product Development Department
• Oversee the implementation of specific product development programme with the main focus being on getting new products to market faster than ever before.
• Ensure there is new and continuous improvement to the relevant project management systems, improving communication and project progress transparency within the business.
• Offering technical advice, support and training on new products within the business and externally if required.
• Contribute when required on company matters as part of the senior management team.
• Effectively review the design of all new products with a view to reducing time to market and manufacturing costs.
• Ensure all new products are fully tested cost effectively and in accordance with agreed design criteria, before the project is handed over to the Certification Department.
• Design and implement bespoke products to customer requirements and if required, meeting with customers.
• Oversee the generation of all bills of material for new products within the IFS business system.
• Implement and help maintain quality systems which eliminate the likelihood of mistakes being made with the design & drawing of components, BOM’s and other related data input activities.
• Provide technical assistance and product information, drawings, general problem solving and application training for new products.
• Maintain good housekeeping and hygiene within your area of control – this includes the R&D laboratory areas.
• Regularly review standard operating procedures for the use of equipment within your areas of control, conduct risk assessments and make changes where necessary.
• Take a leading role in DOE & design FMEA activities and assist with the creation of quality control & inspection procedures (working closely with Automation and/or Production Engineering) before mass production begins on any new product.
• To ensure that all procedures within and, any projects undertaken by, the Product Development Department comply where necessary with both internal and external quality systems.
• Maintain proper records, files and documentation control procedures in relation to technical drawings, reports, certification, approvals etc. developing and improving these systems when necessary.
• Ensure personnel within the Product Development Department are adequately trained to meet the needs of their Job Description.
• Keep abreast of all relevant technical, application and product trends within the industry.
• To have a good understanding of Hazardous Area protection methods for Electrical Apparatus, and an ability to recognise corresponding standards, specifications, and codes of practice.
• Contribute as appropriate in the preparation of the company Product Development Budget.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
• Educated to degree level or with an HND in conjunction with a formal engineering apprenticeship
• Experience of leading/inspiring a team of engineers
• Experience of project managing new products from concept through to completion/Market launch
• Experience of creating innovative design solutions in a similar business
• Extensive experience using 3D CAD modelling
• Knowledge of reading and checking technical drawings
• An understanding of hazardous area protection methods for electrical apparatus would be advantageous
An engineer’s mind-set and An extreme eye for detail